Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken
Chicken can be difficult to make interesting and remain healthy. This is a perfect recipe that can go on in the morning and with a little bit of time, will be absolutely delicious.
- 24 oz 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast (or thighs)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt to taste
Combine chicken broth, beans (drained), corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in a crock pot.
Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.
Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
Thirty minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred.
Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. (add lemons or limes for citrus kick!)
Serve over rice or tortillas and with your favorite toppings.
The macronutrients for this recipe are fantastic and it tastes amazing. You can freeze and reheat for any occasion!